From MEPIS Documentation Wiki
Firestarter is a personal firewall configuration utility that provides a GUI to configure rules and settings in iptables, the rule table file that integrates with the netfilter filtering module in the Linux kernel to implement an integrated firewall solution. Iptables/netfilter monitors all network traffic for the system in real time, and provides port forwarding, internet connection sharing and DHCP service.
Comparison with Guarddog
Like Guarddog, Firestarter makes it easier for the user to configure the firewall.
Advantages compared to Guarddog:
- Easier configuration.
- Displays realtime the network connection.
- Blacklisting and whitelisting of incoming and outgoing connections.
Disadvantages compared to Guarddog:
- Can only be configured for one interface at a time, making it difficult if you switch regularly between wired and wireless.
apt-get install firestarter
When to run Firestarter
You don't need to open Firestarter (i.e. the GUI program) unless you want to monitor connections and events or make changes...the firewall runs in the background. To check it is running: open up a terminal and type as root the following command:
The output should be:
* Firestarter is running...
Related Mepis Wiki Links
- Firewall -- Guide to configuring a redundant firewall architecture.
- Guarddog -- Guarddog graphical iptables editing application.
- ufw -- Uncomplicated Firewall (ufw) command line-based iptables editing application.
- Gufw -- Gufw graphical user interface to the command line interface, ufw, for editing iptables.
- Enabling Firewall for P2P Applications -- Firewall configuration for P2P applications such as Gnutella, Frostwire, Limewire, etc.
- Webmin -- Web based system administration tool that contains a module to configure the firewall and routing capabilities of the kernel. Very flexible and powerful but somewhat complex.
- Iptables -- Example of firewall configuration using iptables.
Other Related Resources
- Home Website for Netfilter/Iptables -- Detailed advanced documentation for Netfilter and Iptables.
- Homepage for Guarddog -- GUI interface for editing iptables.
- Online Manual for Guarddog -- Detailed advanced documentation for Guarddog.
- Homepage for Firestarter -- User-friendly GUI front-end for editing iptables.
- Online Manual for Firestarter -- Detailed advanced documentation for Firestarter.
- Homepage of Uncomplicated Firewall (ufw) -- A command line interface for editing iptables.
- Wiki for Uncomplicated Firewall (ufw) -- Ubuntu wiki documentation for ufw.
- Homepage of Gufw -- Gufw is a GUI interface...to the command line interface, ufw...for editing iptables.
- Documentation for Gufw -- Ubuntu documentation for Gufw.
- Kmyfirewall -- A KDE-based firewall tool designed to be relatively easy to use while providing full-featured control of iptables. Appears to no longer be in active development.