From MEPIS Documentation Wiki
Installing version 0.8.1 manually
Download Freemind files & dependencies
From Freemind's page, download:
- freemind_0.8.1-1_all.deb (required)
- freemind-plugins-help_0.8.1-1_all.deb (optional)
- freemind-plugins-svg_0.8.1-1_all.deb (optional)
- freemind-plugins-time_0.8.1-1_all.deb (optional)
These dependencies will need to be installed before we can manually install Freemind or its plugins. You can install each of the packages below (and their dependencies) in Synaptic, or copy and paste the following commands from the terminal (as root):
apt-get install libcommons-codec-java libcommons-lang-java libjgoodies-forms-java libbatik-java
apt-get install libjaxp1.2-java librelaxng-datatype-java libxerces2-java libjcalendar-java rhino javahelp2
NOTE: from the the above command rhino and javahelp2 are unavailable in the MEPIS 7 repositories but not for MEPIS 8.
Dependencies for Freemind
- libjgoodies-forms-java (this satisfies the dependency for libforms-java, which is unavailable from Debian repositories)
Dependencies for help plugin
- javahelp2 (currently unavailable in the MEPIS 7 repositories)
Dependencies for svg plugin
- rhino (currently unavailable in the MEPIS 7 repositories)
Dependencies for time plugin
Install main packages
- Open freemind_0.8.1-1_all.deb (in Kpackage or Gdebi)
- (optional) Open each of the plugin packages and install
You may want to browse the bug reportsfor the version you're considering before depending on it for important data. Note that encrypted nodes can be permanently lost.
Version 0.8 of Freemind was released in 2005 but because of its dependence on Sun's non-free Java, it is not available in the Debian repositories. Version 0.9 will remedy this situation but it has been under development for years (now at beta 15) and is not yet stable.
In January 2008, version 0.8.1 was released as a small update to 0.8, making it work with Java 1.6.