From MEPIS Documentation Wiki
Gufw is a GUI interface...to a text interface, Uncomplicated Firewall (ufw)...to edit iptables. Ufw is currently under active development and is the preferred software firewall interface for Mepis 11. Accordingly, ufw is installed as part of the default Mepis 11 installation. As with Firestarter and Guarddog, Gufw requires no direct modifications to the default settings. Here's how to install Gufw:
Step 1: First uninstall any other GUI interfaces to iptables. To do this, open Synaptic and search for Firestarter and Guarddog. If any of these applications are installed, then remove them.
Step 2: Use Synaptic to install Gufw.
Step 3: Although probably not necessary, you should reboot at this point.
Step 4: Run Gufw from the Application Launcher > Settings sub-menu. You will need to enter your root password to start Gufw. The default profile should be Deny. Click the Enable checkbox. (NOTE: It may be necessary to log in as root to use the Gufw interface.)
Related Mepis Wiki Links
- Firewall -- Guide to configuring a redundant firewall architecture.
- Guarddog -- Guarddog graphical iptables editing application.
- Firestarter -- Firestarter graphical iptables editing application.
- ufw -- Uncomplicated Firewall (ufw) command line-based iptables editing application.
- Enabling Firewall for P2P Applications -- Firewall configuration for P2P applications such as Gnutella, Frostwire, Limewire, etc.
- Webmin -- Web based system administration tool that contains a module to configure the firewall and routing capabilities of the kernel. Very flexible and powerful but somewhat complex.
- Iptables -- Example of firewall configuration using iptables.
Other Related Resources
- Home Website for Netfilter/Iptables -- Detailed advanced documentation for Netfilter and Iptables.
- Homepage for Guarddog -- GUI interface for editing iptables.
- Online Manual for Guarddog -- Detailed advanced documentation for Guarddog.
- Homepage for Firestarter -- User-friendly GUI front-end for editing iptables.
- Online Manual for Firestarter -- Detailed advanced documentation for Firestarter.
- Homepage of Uncomplicated Firewall (ufw) -- A command line interface for editing iptables.
- Wiki for Uncomplicated Firewall (ufw) -- Ubuntu wiki documentation for ufw.
- Homepage of Gufw -- Gufw is a GUI interface...to the command line interface, ufw...for editing iptables.
- Documentation for Gufw -- Ubuntu documentation for Gufw.
- Kmyfirewall -- A KDE-based firewall tool designed to be relatively easy to use while providing full-featured control of iptables. Appears to no longer be in active development.