Streaming from a network share
From MEPIS Documentation Wiki
Quick fix for receiving streaming from a share:
For some players and situations, the streaming works from a local network computer after initial setup, if you have the proper codecs installed. However, if you notice that the computer is trying to download the whole file to your hard drive first, or just refuses to play, this simple fix may work before you try adding new software.
- Don't use the network browse button located on the bottom panel.
- Open smb4k. If this is not available in the menu, type smb4k in a terminal. If it doesn't open on your desktop, look for it in the panel on the right hand side.
- Click on the computer work group you want in the left side panel. Use the refresh button at the top if it is not there.
- Click through the levels until you get an icon of the folder you want in the top right.
- Click on this folder. Click 'Cancel' for every popup requesting Kwallet security unless you have a good reason to use it on your family network.
- The desired folder should mount and be opened.
- Drag and drop the music (or whatever) to, say. Amarok.
Most times this solves the problem, which is caused by the fact that the network browse button does not mount the share so the computer works with it like any similar file on the local computer.