Windows boot loader
From MEPIS Documentation Wiki
This method works for MEPIS version 6.5 or higher. For older versions please see: Windows XP/98 boot loader (method for older MEPIS)
- When installing MEPIS choose to install GRUB in the root of the MEPIS partition.
- Mount Windows XP or Windows 98 partition (if you resized that partition you need to reboot and check the drive in Windows first):
- open filemanager, type media:/ in address bar and press Enter.
- click on the Windows partition (usually the first partition of the first drive, or the second partition in case you have a factory recovery partition).
- Press F4, this should open a terminal in that folder.
- Type (double check that you typed correctly before you press Enter):
dd if=/dev/MEPIS_root of=boot.lnx bs=512 count=1 --> where MEPIS_root the actual name of the root partition where you installed MEPIS (e.g. hda3 or sdb1)
Finally type (or copy&paste from here to avoid mistakes):
echo 'c:\boot.lnx="MEPIS 6.5"' >> boot.ini