From MEPIS Documentation Wiki
KUser is a GUI for user management in MEPIS 8.5, 8, and 7.
In 8.5 it is found by clicking KMenu > System > User Manager (KUser) and supplying the root password.
In 8 and 7 it is found by clicking KMenu > System > More Applications > User Manager (KUser) and supplying the root password.
The first three buttons in the toolbar have to do with user management (default tab): add user, edit user, and delete any user highlighted. The screens that pop up are pretty self-explanatory, but you can consult the KUser Handbook found under Help.
The second three are used with similar functions for group management (Groups tab), and allow you to decide who belongs to each group. Again, reasonably self-explanatory.
Sometimes a program needs to have a user registered before it will operate correctly. Let's take an example with DigiKam, which can be fussy about this. According to these directions, the username should be added to the group "camera" but that group is not listed. Here's how you would do that:
- Click KMenu --> System --> More Applications --> User Manager (KUser), and supply root's password
- Click on the Groups tab, and confirm that there is no group name "camera"
- Click on the top menu bar Group --> Add...
- In the dialogue box that pops up, type "camera" as Group name
- Highlight your username in the column on the right, then click the middle Add<- button to move your username into the column Users in Group.
- Click OK.
- The Group tab now includes the group "camera" with your username.